KDE Frameworks Release Cycle

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Thu May 8 22:59:58 BST 2014

[This message is a reply to all people requesting a long-term-maintained
frameworks branch.]

On Sunday 04 May 2014 16:27:44 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Kevin Ottens ha scritto:
> > So, we had a team discussion here with Albert, Aleix, Alex, Alex,
> > Aurélien, David, Rohan and myself. We juggled with several options,
> > trying to address>
> > the following constraints:
> >  * We don't have many contributors;
> >  * We don't have enough testing in the stable branches, developers
> >  tend to have a hard time to dog food those;
>
> Other big projects with frequent releases, like the Linux kernel or
> Firefox have stable branches too; not all of the releases, but some
> of them.

In case of the Linux kernel those stable branches are maintained by
dedicated volunteers. Without those volunteers there wouldn't be any
long-term-maintained Linux kernel branches.

If you (Luigi and/or Alex [Neundorf] and/or Patrick) are willing to
maintain a stable frameworks branch then nobody will stop you from doing
so. On the contrary, I'm sure many people would be grateful for your
initiative and all the work you put into maintaining such a branch. But
please don't expect other people (in particular the small number of
frameworks maintainers) to do this job for you.

Remember, that in KDE (as in any other volunteer organization) you
should never say "we should do foo" unless you mean "I volunteer to
[help with] do[ing] foo".

Regards,
Ingo