KF5 Update Meeting Minutes 2014-w28

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Wed Jul 9 11:53:33 BST 2014

On 9 July 2014 06:14, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday 09 July 2014 09:57:27 Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> On 9 July 2014 03:30, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
>> >  * ervin hopes to see kdepimlibs bits getting in sooner rather than later;
>>
>> Hmm? Sysadmin has already received a request to get the frameworks
>> branch of kdepimlibs building on the CI system to allow for KMyMoney's
>> frameworks branch to be built. I thought this was already underway?
>
> There's work underway of course. Laurent is very instrumental there. But
> there's still a long way to go AFAIK. Having a branch that builds is a first
> step, but then splitting the repository will be necessary, figuring out which
> parts of kdepim-runtime will go with which part of kdepimlibs, organizing the
> splitted repositories so that they follow the existing policies, etc.
>
> It's pretty much the kdelibs/kde-runtime work again, it shouldn't be
> underestimated.

I've had clarification from Montel, and indeed the schedule has been
moved up due to there being no 4.15, so now after 4.14 in say
September/October time frame.  We have a PIM Sprint planned for
November in Munich when I guess the Frameworks planning will be the
main focus.

The Frameworks branch does build, has many build fixes applied to it
for KF5 and gets regular merges from master.  However we're still
doing new features and bug fixes in kdepimlibs as needed for
improvements to the apps, hence the reluctance to split it off before
necessary.  I think many of the libs are already fairly standalone,
but others will need considerable restructuring. A few like KHolidays
could be split off and released almost immediately, others will take
much longer.  The really big hurdle for pimlibs will be removing
KDateTime/KTimeZone/KLocale usage which is substantial work.  There's
some initial work towards the split at [1].

Cheers!

John.

[1] https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/kdepimlibs