KF5 Update Meeting Minutes 2014-w28

Mario Fux kde-ml at unormal.org
Tue Jul 8 22:15:05 BST 2014

Am Dienstag, 08. Juli 2014, 19.27:52 schrieb John Layt:

Morning John

[snip]

> >  * he'd like to see a donation button in KDE apps based on KF5
> >  (developers
> >
> > could opt-out);
>
> We already have a link to the donations page buried deep in the "About
> KDE" dialog under the "Support KDE" tab where no-one ever sees it.  A

Indeed there is something ;-).

> Help menu item for "Donate to KDE..." that pops up a dialog explaining
> why would be far more visible, but easily disabled by distros who

So what? It's still free software so everybody can patch it away. But we can
present it prominently and try and see if it helps. And I mainly think about
KDE apps on Windows, Mac and Android when I want to see this donate button as
we're the distributors there ourselves.

But it's exactly what I meant: A "Donate to KDE..." menu item under the Help
menu.

> object.  We could also include a "Donate to KDE" tip in every
> KTipDatabase and ensure it's the first tip shown by default on an apps
> first run.  As an admin note, whenever we do add a donate link
> anywhere we should make it unique so that we can track how successful
> each channel is.

+1

> >  * ervin hopes to see kdepimlibs bits getting in sooner rather than
> >  later;
>
> I asked on the PIM list the other day, Montel says the plan is not to
> start on frameworks until after 4.15, so maybe March/April next year?

There won't be a 4.15 and I talked with Montel about this.

> I think he meant porting the PIM applications though, so I'm not sure
> what that means for starting on pimlibs.  I'll follow up.
>

> My plans:
> * Write proper docs for KUnitConversion
> * Make KUnitConversion Tier 1 by switching to Qt translations
> * In advanced planning for replacements for ISO codes and flag images,
> even have some code, see
> https://community.kde.org/KDE_Core/KDE_Open_Data
> ** OpenCodes: repo of json files of ISO data auto-extracted from
> Wikidata, CC-0, can be used by anyone
> ** KCodes: Qt library which loads OpenCodes files
> ** OpenFlags: repo of SVG flag images auto-extracted from Wikidata,
> with icon set auto-generated from SVGs

Very interesting stuff!

> Here's a bit of bike-shedding for you: when creating completely new
> Frameworks in Tier 1, do we name them with a Q or with a K or with
> something completely neutral?
>
> Cheers!
>
> John.

Thx