kqmlgraphplugin -- a QML plugin to render beautiful and interactive graphs

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Thu Jan 30 10:52:18 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 22:53:59 Sven Brauch wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Cool project, I really missed such a component a while back (I actually
> wrote my own back then, which was less nice than yours). The code looks
> sane too from a quick look, so I'm all for moving it to extragear (although
> I'm not exactly an expert for sane code).
>
> It doesn't seem to be designed for lots of data (since each point is an
> object, etc.), which is understandable; but eventually it would be a nice
> feature to add API designed towards such data in the future?
>
> On Wednesday 29 January 2014 12:41:22 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > Regarding 3D charts, I have no idea if this is even possible using QML
> > alone  or if you need to do something else for that.
>
> I assume you're talking about the "usual" 3D charts, such as 3D-looking pie
> charts and bar graphs? For drawing those, I would not use any kind of 3D API
> at all. Just drawing some rectangles and ellipses clipping each other will
> be way easier for that purpose, which is very easy even with QtQuick 1.

Those for sure, but not only.  Also surface charts, which is more like what
you would call a plot in some other programs.

> (Apart from that, those 3D effects are bad for a chart's readability
> anyways ;)

I might even agree with you but we still need to support them. :)

Except in some cases when you have a table of values that you need to
visualize, then it's very difficult to do with 2D charts.

	-Inge