kqmlgraphplugin -- a QML plugin to render beautiful and interactive graphs

David Narvaez david.narvaez at computer.org
Tue Jan 28 08:37:01 GMT 2014

On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 6:17 AM, Sebastian Gottfried
<sebastiangottfried at web.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> some time ago I was in need for a graphing component for my application
> (KTouch). As the applications UI is done entirely in QML, I was looking for an
> QML component to do so. Since there was no satisfactory of-the-shelf solution
> I decided to implement my own graphs. Currently, the code for these graphs
> lives in the KTouch repository in is distributed alongside KTouch.

I don't want to start a naming bikeshed so if it is already too late
to consider renaming, just dismiss these comments:

The first thing I thought of when I read the name of the plugin is
that it did graph rendering, like OGDF QML[0], and I was in desperate
need for such a library a couple of months ago. I think graph is
confusing for a couple of reasons:

* There is already a concept of graphs associated to QML, as in QML
Graph Scene (which is apparently the most common result I get from
searching "QML Graph")
* In KDE, Rocs deals with Graphs and KmPlot deals with these kinds of graphs.
* There is a Qt Charts[1] thing that does something similar.

So I would consider renaming this to something with plot/chart.

David E. Narvaez

[0] https://github.com/schulzch/qml-ogdf
[1] http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2013/06/19/qt-charts-1-3-0-released-2/