Qt 5.3 to log all debug/warning/error messages to journald on systemd systems

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jan 21 12:55:15 GMT 2014

On Monday, January 20, 2014 14:40:17 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> See subject. We're trying to decide whether we should enable journald by
> default on Linux distributions that carry it. If we do, it means any
> application that is not launched from a terminal would automatically write
> to journald instead.
>
> KDE applications are the largest users of qDebug today.
>
> If we changed the default, it would mean ~/.xsession-errors would probably
> become rather empty. Is that ok for KDE?

One thing that may concern me is how to clean the system from debugging
messages then. Sometimes applications go rogue on qDebug() (recent example the
message from QPainter in Qt5, which has just been fixed), so the journal will
end up pretty big, and also in the home directory.

I like how it's easy to delete all that spam with just one file. I would not
quite like it to end up on my / partition, since that one is usually pretty
small, and it can prevent the system from booting when the journal is filled
up.

I'm not objecting, but the above questions concern my systems. Answers to how
this could be done nicely are appreciated.

Cheers,
--
sebas