Splitting kde-workspace and kde-runtime proposal

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Jan 21 12:04:22 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:03:57 Bhushan Shah wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 1:19 AM, Àlex Fiestas <afiestas at kde.org> wrote:
> > In the plasma sprint we have done a session to plan what we are going to
> > do
> > with kde-workspace/kde-runtime repositories, here is the proposal we came
> > with.
> >
> > We are going to create 2 new repos called plasma-desktop and
> > plasma-workspace, we decided to use plasma as a prefix so in the future
> > we can have more workspaces and desktops without being in the awkward
> > situation of having one wrongly labeled as "KDE" while others are not
> > (thinking on for example having Razorqt/lxde as part of KDE in the
> > future). Current kde-workspace and kde- runtime will be kept for history
> > reasons.
>
> I want to suggest something different,
>
> 1) Create two different groups named plasma-workspace and
> plasma-desktop like frameworks

How is this granularity useful? To me, it sounds like way too much, too hard
to move code around within the same domain, for example. We don't want to
flood people with hundreds of repositories.

The generic workspace vs. specific formfactor split is well in line with how
we see people deploying Plasma, you install the framework, the generic
workspace, and then a package for a specific formfactor.

Cheers,
--
sebas