Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Feb 26 09:24:44 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-02-26, 07:46:07, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 February 2014 23:20:18 Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> > No, it takes
> > and turns that into
> >
> > > intltool/itstool /can/ select "<p lang="x">foo bar</p>" as translation
> > > source, correct?
> >
> > The only use <p> or, in intltool's case every tag prefixed with an
> > underscore, like <_p>.
>
> What about we add an xslt processor before it's passed to intltool/itstool
> to format the xml as we need it. It's extremely trivial to pick all <p>
> with an argument and delete them or rename one to <_p>. And that should not
> even be a lot of work.
>
> I'm clearly voting for "let's make the tool to work with our workflow"
> instead of translating to another file. This would result in a mess...

Agreed, I was thinking the same.
My understanding is that the itstool can handle valid files, it just needs the
translations stripped from its input.
And removing all tags that have a "lang" attribute should indeed be doable.

This will result in exactly the same situation we have for .desktop files:
* the file starts with just the source langiage
* the translated entries get merged in automatically
* the translation source are the entries without language "marker", developer
edit only those
* process takes care of only considering source entries when updating
translator files

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring