Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Tue Feb 25 22:20:18 GMT 2014

> On Dienstag, 25. Februar 2014 22:22:36 CEST, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

>>> On Tuesday, 2014-02-25, 21:36:27, Albert Astals Cid wrote: ...
>>
>> If that is your final statement, I will write the AppData
>> recommendation without any translation support for KDE. There is no
>> tool available which does what you want, and I can't take the task to
>> write one (I also consider it useless, but that's unrelated).
>

> Recap:
> the desired action is to have
>
> file.xml
> -------------------------
>
> and turn that into
>
> file.xml
> -------------------------
No, it takes
and turns that into

> intltool/itstool /can/ select "<p lang="x">foo bar</p>" as translation
> source, correct?
The only use <p> or, in intltool's case every tag prefixed with an
underscore, like <_p>.

> It creates a .po file for the translators and can write back an xml file
> (from the .po), but only /extend/ "<p lang="x">foo bar</p>", not merge with
> existing translations - correct?
If you thow in a translated file, they will duplicate the translated tag, right.

> So the outstanding task would be to kick all pre-translated <p lang="!x">
> elements before running the pass which writes the translated xml file?
Yes, that would basically recreate the original input file :-)

> That frankly sounds like an xmlstarlet one-liner... is that the problem?
How would that look like? That would be really cool :-)
(I never worked with xmlstarlet)

>> Having untranslated AppData is better than no AppData.
>
> *LOL* - i'll bring that argument next time i want to introduce a visual
> string in a minor release ... :-P
Given that Fedora wants to kick out all apps without AppData from
their software center, that might be a relevant issue ;-)

Cheers,
    Matthias