Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Tue Feb 25 20:49:15 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, 2014-02-25, 21:15:36, Matthias Klumpp wrote:

> > And the workflow of both intltool and itstool suggest that they always
> > consider their output to be fully generated and not editable so they
> > should
> > really have the option of writing such a warning.
> > Just like UIC does or MOC.
>
> Only developers should have to edit that file - translators will
> translate the po file which is used by itstool/intltool to translate
> the XML.

Well, my understanding was that nobody will edit that file. Developers would
edit the template, translators would edit po files and the tool generates the
appdata file, no?

> And I consider developers to be smart enough to edit the
> source-file and not the generated one (print a warning somewhere might
> be a good idea anyway...)

It is always good to have an additional hint. Usually tools that generate
output that is overwritten everytime the tool runs generate such a warning
header.
I had kind of assumed that intltool and itstool would do the same since their
output is, as far as my unterstanding was, not meant to be edited.

> Itstool has a nice summary of the workflow described here:
> http://itstool.org/documentation/basic-usage/

It seems to recommend the "generated file" approach:
"When using join mode, it’s common to maintain a monolingual version of the
file along with translations in PO files, and to build the multilingual file
that gets shipped."

Couldn't hurt for it to have an option to generate a warning into as well. A
lot of tools that produce such "overwrite" content do.

Anyway, prepending a comment could even be done by script that runs the tool I
guess.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring