Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files
matthias at tenstral.net
Sun Feb 23 15:13:46 GMT 2014
2014-02-23 15:44 GMT+01:00 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:
> El Divendres, 21 de febrer de 2014, a les 16:48:01, Matthias Klumpp va
>> 2014-02-21 2:02 GMT+01:00 Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org>:
>> > [...]
>> I have a compromise to offer, which will be necessary anyway in a way,
>> since to-be-localized entries in our XML files would have to be
>> prefixed with an underscore, so merging stuff back into the original
>> file does not work (unless we duplicate data there, which is ugly).
>> So, new suggestion:
>> * Project author creates file project.appdata.xml.in, containing the
>> raw data which has to be translated.
>> * Scripty processes that file and commits a project.appdata.xml file
>> in the same directory where the previous one was, containing all
>> localizations. If one is already there, the file is updated.
>> * We simply install the localized file and keep the other one as template
>> That solution would work, I would be happy with it and hopefully
>> Albert as well :-) If not, please make an alternative suggestion.
> Why do you need two files instead of one file like we do for .desktop files?
All translatable items are prefixed with an underscore, for example:
Software allows you to find and install new applications and system
extensions and remove existing installed applications.
If we merge back translations into the same file, we would have to
provide the same item twice (with and w/o underscore), which is ugly.
Also, having one file to edit which is not full of translation data is
easier, because you can spot the stuff you have to edit immediately.
By providing a list of translatable items, you could in theory merge
stuff into one file as well. I think itstool can do that. In that
case, we would have a special-case solution for AppStream AppData in
Debian Developer | Freedesktop-Developer
I welcome VSRE emails. See http://vsre.info/
More information about the kde-core-devel