Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Fri Feb 21 15:48:01 GMT 2014

> [...]
>
> I'm very happy to see you pushing this forward. Muon will be supporting this
> format from the next released version (to some extent) and I'm sure this
> will increase over time.
Great! Please keep in mind that the format is not meant to be
processed directly, but instead an intermediate Xapian database is
used. GNOME does not use it because the library for accessing the db
was not ready in time and it only had to run on Fedora anyway at that
time.
I will hopefully have time to work on the database stuff this weekend.

> Regarding localization, Albert is the man here. If he says it's done in a
> way, you do it this way. ;-)
> More seriously though, I agree that it's doesn't make much sense to have it
> generated at build time, since this would require having all translations
> installed. Maybe we can figure out a mechanism appdata -> po -> appdata like
> in the desktop files. It works great there for desktop files, and it's the
> exact same use-case.
I have a compromise to offer, which will be necessary anyway in a way,
since to-be-localized entries in our XML files would have to be
prefixed with an underscore, so merging stuff back into the original
file does not work (unless we duplicate data there, which is ugly).
So, new suggestion:
 * Project author creates file project.appdata.xml.in, containing the
raw data which has to be translated.
 * Scripty processes that file and commits a project.appdata.xml file
in the same directory where the previous one was, containing all
localizations. If one is already there, the file is updated.
 * We simply install the localized file and keep the other one as template
That solution would work, I would be happy with it and hopefully
Albert as well :-) If not, please make an alternative suggestion.
Cheers,
    Matthias