Lokalization for KDE AppStream AppData files

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Feb 20 18:33:50 GMT 2014

On Thursday 20 February 2014 18:54:32 Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Hi!
> I am working on bringing AppData to KDE. AppData is a XML-based
> metadata format to enhance information displayed about applications in
> software-centers. It, for example, includes long descriptions of an
> application, homepage links, donation-links, screenshot-info and some
> other information about the application.
> AppStream is a Freedesktop project enabling us to build cross-distro
> software centers. GNOME is already making heavy use of it for their
> GNOME-Software application, and KDE also uses it already in Apper and
> probably Muon soon.
> One challenge for KDE is how to handle localizations for AppData
> information. I would propose the following:
>  * KDE applications ship an <app>.appdata.xml.in file, containing the
> raw, untranslated data.
>  * We extend messages.sh to scan the XML file and return the found
> strings to the generic pot file, which is then translated by our
> localization teams as usual.
>  * At build-time, we use intltool[1] to merge the translation with the
> AppData file, then install it into it's target directory.
> This is basically it. The only thing KDE projects need to do is to
> edit their Messages.sh and depend on intltool to merge localization. I
> could also provide a cmake macro for doing that to
> extra-cmake-modules, if needed.
> Do you have comments or suggestions on this?
> I would later add it to the wiki page I'm doing to describe how KDE
> projects which want to use AppData can easily use it.

Why can't scripty update the xml file like it does with the .desktop files? I'm
a little bit afraid of a more complicated build process as the translations
life in a different repository and I assume most devs don't have them around at
all.

Would that work for distributions? Don't they build the language data
separately?

Cheers
Martin