KDM + ConsoleKit + Logind

Martin Briza mbriza at redhat.com
Mon Feb 17 14:59:43 GMT 2014

On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:49:07 +0100, Harald Sitter <sitter at kde.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Matthias Klumpp <matthias at tenstral.net>
> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I'm not entirely sure about kdm but for the rest of the code in
>>> kde-workspace (kworkspace, powerdevil et co.), login1 support is fairly
>>> complete and preferred over CK.
>> We are using a KDE 4.11 systemd running on pure logind in Tanglu
>> without any reported issues. KDM has multiseat patches applied, which
>> were taken from[1].
>> We also adjusted some other dependencies, but that was just minor work
>> on the packaging.
>> So yes, you can use KDM with logind, but I am not sure that using it
>> at all will make sense long-term, since KDM is dead now.
>
> Right, but short of patching KDM to gain proper logind support, should
> one build with or without CK, i.e. does CK add anything useful if the
> rest of the system is not using it anyway?
>
> I mean, it's a crappy situation either way. The DM we ship with our
> workspace is not maintained and suggests usage of CK while the rest of
> the workspace really wants logind, so, not the most consistent
> requirement set to begin with.
>
> HS

Hey,

I already responded to the list but here goes again as the mail doesn't
seem to be approved any time soon:

No, I don't think you really need CK, everything is handled automagically
by logind now. In Fedora, we don't actually ship the deamon anymore and
everything is going on fine. Yes, KDM still depends on the library but it
doesn't communicate with anything.

Cheers,
Martin