KDE Review: Move LabPlot to extragear.

Alexander Semke Alexander.Semke at web.de
Thu Feb 13 07:21:48 GMT 2014

Hi,

> Do you really need that embedded liborigin?
The development of this code was originally initiated in LabPlot and got later
contributions from other projects. A library was created. It is/was used for
the import of Origin files. At the moment we don't import anything but ascii
files. However, at some point we maybe have to pick up this code.

I'm not a big fan of providing import/export-stuff for proprietary file
formats in open-source software. To be honest, I want to convince the users to
use LabPlot by the quality of the software in general and not by the quality
of import-filters for some fancy windows software that is very often used out
there. But if there are to many requests for this feature in the future, we'll
probably revive this dead code.

The code can be downloaded from [1]. So, maybe you're right. We can kill this
code in the repository until we decide to use it later. And if we decide to
use it, we should decide whether to use it as an external shared library or
not.

[1] https://sourceforge.net/projects/liborigin/

--
Alexander