Changes to our Git infrastructure

Thomas Friedrichsmeier thomas.friedrichsmeier at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Dec 29 21:40:16 GMT 2014

On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 16:19:37 -0500
"Jeff Mitchell" <mitchell at kde.org> wrote:
> On 29 Dec 2014, at 15:20, Thomas Friedrichsmeier wrote:
> > I am absolutely not qualified to comment on the pain this is
> > causing to
> > you sysadmins. But are we talking about / is the problem inherent
> > to the
> > _concept_ of scratch repos, or is it a problem of the
> > implementation of
> > how exactly scratch repos are created?
>
> I'm honestly not sure how to answer that; scratch repos are very much
> an implementation because we had a solution. It seemed like something
> that could be useful, and we had the capability with the current
> software, so we did it. In hindsight, it has been problematic.

What I mean is, it seems somewhat unclear what aspects exactly of
scratch repos are the problem. So I'll try to clarify:

To me, the essence of the "concept" of a scratch repo is the three
points, I listed, i.e. (reiterating), creating a repo
- without _any_ questions asked (other than the name)
- in a not-quite-as-visible area / prefix
- following more liberal rules, e.g. about force pushing
A different aspect, that is not so important to me, is that scratch
repos can be created instantly via certain SSH commands without any
interaction with sysadmins. This is what I referred to as
"implementation".

In these terms, "concept" is what I care about. And if this "concept"
can be preserved, consider me happy with any "implementation".

Regards
Thomas