Changes to our Git infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Thu Dec 25 08:20:53 GMT 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:20 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,

Hi everyone,

> As has been made evident in the prior thread there are quite a few
> interesting ideas floating around about what our Git infrastructure
> should be capable of.
>
> Our current one was constructed when KDE first seriously migrated to
> Git following the Gitorious experiments, and it shows. (As a sysadmin
> I can attest that parts of it are held together by digital glue and
> tape).
>
> Before we go ahead and jump to a new platform though - we need to know
> what we want.
> Can everyone please suggest what they think are the things they'd like
> to see feature wise?
>
> In doing so, please refrain from mentioning any existing solutions -
> all we want to do at this point is construct a wishlist of what people
> would like to see the system be capable of.
>
> Items that we (sysadmin) would like to see community comment on
> include the code review system, clone and scratch repositories and how
> they function, and whether people would be bothered by repository
> locations changing as they move around. Also useful would be comment
> on how anongit and other systems that rely on the Git infastructure
> work.

No comments on scratch or clone repositories? Or the movement of repositories?
Or how anongit functions (what you find works least well, etc)?

> Note that while Continuous Integration is something which could
> integrate with this infrastructure, it is something which is not being
> re-evaluated at this time. Any attempt to include it within this
> discussion is considered off topic and out of scope.

It seems that there has been some misinterpretation of this - sorry about that.

The connection between the CI system and any code review, etc. system
is definitely on topic.
The capabilities of the CI system, how it works, etc is what is out of scope.

> Thanks,
> Ben

Thanks,
Ben