Changes to branch management

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Dec 24 00:57:15 GMT 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2014 17:45:23 Milian Wolff wrote:
>> +1 to all of the above. What about tags btw? In KDevelop e.g. it would only
>> be  a nuisance if someone would delete one of our "stable" branches, but
>> deleting one of the release tags would be ugly as I'd then need to figure
>> out what commit was chosen for what release.
>>
>> Bye and thanks for your continuous work Ben, much appreciated! Take care.
>
> Tags shouldn't be deleted, period. That's something for the repo owner, in
> case of a mistake.
>
> Also note that people will get those tags and git remote prune doesn't delete
> them. So don't push bad tags.

Once again you don't have to worry.
The backup mechanism in the hooks doesn't care about the type of ref
it is handling - if the operation is destructive a backup will be
created.

Unfortunately i'm not sure if Gitolite's ACL mechanisms let us
differentiate between tags and branches so if we allow anyone to
delete branches they'll probably be able to do the same for tags.

Regards,
Ben