Changes to branch management

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 16:35:30 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, December 23, 2014 06:27:01 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El Dimarts, 23 de desembre de 2014, a les 14:48:21, Sebastian Kügler va
>
> escriure:
> > On Wednesday, December 24, 2014 00:04:22 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > > The first seems the least contentious: allowing all developers to
> > > delete branches on our mainline repositories, except for certain
> > > protected branches (like "master" and "KDE/*" for instance).
> >

> > I'd add "frameworks" to that, it has a status very similar to "master" for
> > many projects.
>
> Has it? As far as i understand frameworks is "just" a work branch that will
> eventually merged into "master" when it's done.

IMO, yes. It's a branch shared across many people and often being the base for
yet another branch, so the annoyance of someone doing a force-push there would
be quite high.

I'm in favor of only relaxing the permissions for "personal" branches (i.e.
branches that you've created yourself (in Plasma, we're using
username/branchname quite consistently, so just matching for "starts with
$username" would work well enough for me).

Cheers,
--
sebas