Changes to our Git infrastructure

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Dec 23 11:20:18 GMT 2014

Hi all,

As has been made evident in the prior thread there are quite a few
interesting ideas floating around about what our Git infrastructure
should be capable of.

Our current one was constructed when KDE first seriously migrated to
Git following the Gitorious experiments, and it shows. (As a sysadmin
I can attest that parts of it are held together by digital glue and
tape).

Before we go ahead and jump to a new platform though - we need to know
what we want.
Can everyone please suggest what they think are the things they'd like
to see feature wise?

In doing so, please refrain from mentioning any existing solutions -
all we want to do at this point is construct a wishlist of what people
would like to see the system be capable of.

Items that we (sysadmin) would like to see community comment on
include the code review system, clone and scratch repositories and how
they function, and whether people would be bothered by repository
locations changing as they move around. Also useful would be comment
on how anongit and other systems that rely on the Git infastructure
work.

Note that while Continuous Integration is something which could
integrate with this infrastructure, it is something which is not being
re-evaluated at this time. Any attempt to include it within this
discussion is considered off topic and out of scope.

Thanks,
Ben