cppcheck on build.kde.org

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Wed Dec 17 17:30:03 GMT 2014

On Tuesday, 16 December 2014 23:58:02 CEST, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> If we were to replace Jenkins, you have indicated that custom work
> would be required to get reports for tests and tools like cppcheck
> generated and published.

Hi Ben, what I said is that generating pretty plots about historical trends
of the number of build warnings and the number of cppcheck issues is
something which Jenkins excells at, that I do not see any value in having
these graphs, and that they do not make sense in case of pre-merge CI. With
a pre-merge CI, there's no linear history anymore, so having Jenkins-style
graph showing how many warnings were produced over the course of last week
is a metric which, IMHO, doesn't make sense. How should such a graph look
like, considering that the history might have many dead-ends?

I made a quick look into getting the cppcheck data published into Gerrit,
but when testing this, I got back data which I cannot interpret properly.

1) For KIO's master branch with Qt5 (this is KF5, right?), the website [1]
says that there are no errors, no warnings. However, if I run the tool
locally on my laptop with no arguments, I get:

[src/widgets/jobuidelegate.cpp:78] -> [src/widgets/jobuidelegate.cpp:75]:
(error, inconclusive) Possible null pointer dereference: w - otherwise it
is redundant to check it against null.

If I use the same arguments as specified in websites/build.kde.org's
config/build/global.cfg, I get a *ton* of warnings. Even after filtering
out missing include files, I still get quite a few warnings, such as:

  <error id="uninitMemberVar" severity="warning" msg="Member variable
'KUrlCompletionPrivate::list_urls_no_hidden' is not initialized in the
constructor." verbose="Member variable
'KUrlCompletionPrivate::list_urls_no_hidden' is not initialized in the
constructor.">

2) I don't see any cppcheck results for Trojita. The web page at [2] says
"This plugin will not report Cppcheck result until there is at least one
success or unstable build.", but there have been 278 such builds so far. I
got similar results for the other build variations.

Now, I might be doing something terribly wrong. Could you please point me
in a right direction?

-> Are you sure that the version of cppcheck on build.k.o works properly
right now? All projects which I ranodmly picked report 0 warnings; that's
surprising given that there are some compiler warnings and I've always got
more invalid warnings from cppcheck than from my compiler(s).

-> How are the custom include directories passed to cppcheck? Can it find
the headers of the dependencies?

Cheers,
Jan

[1] http://build.kde.org/job/kio_master_qt5/470/cppcheckResult/