[Kde-pim] Problems with infrastructure

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Wed Dec 17 13:47:09 GMT 2014

On 17 Dec 2014, at 6:01, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> Hi Jeff, thanks for a very reasonable mail, I don't have much to add
> to it in general, except for one item:
>
>> But it's not reasonable to expect the sysadmins to support multiple
>> parallel systems
>
> Maybe there is a misunderstanding of some kind -- I do not expect
> sysadmins to take care of a system like Gerrit. I'm volunteering for
> doing this work, and at Akademy some other people expressed general
> interest in helping out, too. I do not forsee any increased load on
> our sysadmins due to Gerrit.

Hi Jan,

I understood that to be the case -- I'm really meaning for a general,
KDE-wide solution.

Personally I don't have an issue with volunteers taking care of
non-official systems if it helps their productivity. If Gerrit wasn't
where KDE as a whole went, and you wanted to put the effort in to keep
Gerrit working for you and integrated with the rest of the KDE systems,
more power to you.

The issue I see (which doesn't necessarily reflect my personal views) is
that KDE projects have been required to use KDE infrastructure. I forget
where that's written/required, but I do know that that it exists. The
purpose of this was to avoid fragmentation or making it difficult to
find the full breadth of KDE projects, or requiring KDE developers to
sign up for multiple e.g. bugtracking systems just to comment on another
KDE project.

I tend to be productivity-oriented rather than dogmatic, but I certainly
don't speak for everyone on that point.

--Jeff