[Kde-pim] Problems with infrastructure

Jan Kundrát jkt at kde.org
Wed Dec 10 15:53:09 GMT 2014

On Wednesday, 10 December 2014 10:28:59 CEST, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> * pull requests/the webinterface: reviewboard is awesome for single patches
> every now and then, it's rather useless when you work with
> branches IMO. With github we have a nice webinterface to review
> branches while keeping it simple.
> Gerrit may be what I'm looking for though (never used it,
> looking forward to see how the testing goes).

That depends on what you're looking for. Gerrit puts emphasis on review of
individual patches. It will present related patches "together", but you
won't be able to review them as a single entity -- the goal of Gerrit is to
ensure that the history is clean, and it is operating under an assumption
that each commit matters. Unless I'm mistaken, a GitHub pull request shows
you a diff which represents the starting point and the final point of that
branch as a single unit, with an option to go into individual commits.
Gerrit is different -- not worse, different :).

Regarding the "testing of Gerrit", I haven't received much feedback yet.
Three repositories are using it so far (kio, plasma-framework, trojita),
and if a repo owner/maintainer of some other project is willing to take
part in this testing, I won't see a problem with it.

With kind regards,
Jan

--
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/