Scripting/Extensions BoF at Akademy?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sat Aug 9 16:34:04 BST 2014

Greetings all,

I'd like to ask if there is any interest of having a BoF around the topic of
script language based extensions for KDE applications.

Some applications already offer that, e.g. Kate, and Plasma is even designed
around that idea.

But currently there seems to be quite some infrastructure implemented multiple
times, e.g. a "require" or "include" mechanism for QtScript.

My goal for the BoF would be to see which functional blocks we have spread
across KDE software, if we could identify bits that can be upstreamed and bits
that would be nice in a KScriptAddon framework.

One thing for the latter could be support for packages, probably based on
Plasma packages, as a nice and common way of making application extensions
distributable including assets and translations.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring