KDE applications 4.14 LTS or 4.15?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Apr 25 23:22:06 BST 2014

On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 9:09 PM, Mario Fux <kde-ml at unormal.org> wrote:

> Morning gals and guys
>
> First: there are several mailing lists in the "TO:" above but please just
> write to the kde-devel mailing list for this discussion.
>
> As the release schedule for our KDE applications in the version 4.14 [1]
> were
> finalized at the beginning of this week it's time to discuss if 4.14 should
> become a LTS release (e.g. until August 2015 like KDE Workspaces 4.11) or
> if
> we need (at least) another features release and thus 4.15?
>
> So what do you think? And most important, what do you, the KDE apps
> developers, think? Do you plan to develop new features with Qt4 and the KDE
> Platform 4 or do you plan to port your application to the KDE Frameworks 5
> as
> soon as they have a stable release (like this June ;-).
>
> Best regards
> Mario

I would like to see applications starting to use KF5 more and more. I agree
it can be a special case, but the 3 oldest projects I maintain (KDevelop
which is not in SC, KAlgebra and Kamoso) are mostly ready for action.

On the other hand, I don't see a reason for waiting more to adopt Qt5 on
our projects.

Aleix