Freedesktop summit 2014

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Sun Apr 20 15:04:42 BST 2014

On Saturday, 2014-04-19, 17:06:42, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 17 April 2014 20:17:38 David Faure wrote:
> > I represented KDE again this year at the freedesktop summit in Nuremberg.
> > Please find our report below.
>
> sorry to ask, but were there any discussions about the fact that GTK+ based
> applications start to be broken on other environments? See for example [1],
> especially screenshot at [2].
>
> To me it feels very strange to have a mail on the great collaboration on the
> one day and then seeing that bug report the other day. It would mean a lot
> of work on our side to fix this and it's clearly a new feature which means
> we cannot fix in 4.11 time life.
>
> For me it's very questionable to consider any future collaboration if the
> GTK+ camp is deliberately (!) breaking integration on other environments.

I don't have any insight into the respective communities, but it might just be
that this is just a matter of two independent groups.

My interpretation of the recent summit was that the people there are mostly
from the infrastructure department, working on specs and interfaces that
improve interoperability.

The GTK+ people might be a whole different set of people and like any other
toolkit might decide not to support a given spec or have a different
interpretation or even accidentally implemented it differently.

On "our" side there are also often different people associated with those two
causes, e.g. David representing KDE at the summit, but somebody entirely
different working on the XCB QPA.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring