Kronometer now in KDE Review

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kdemail.net
Wed Apr 16 11:56:01 BST 2014

> El Dilluns, 14 d'abril de 2014, a les 11:35:02, Elvis Angelaccio va
>> escriure:
>> bit

>> > I see your point, probably the splitters are unnecessary UI components
>> for
>> > this use case.
>> > What do you think about an option in "Interface settings"? I could
>> display
>> > by default a single QFrame (without splitters) and leave to the user an
>> > opt-in to allow the splitters.
>> > In this way I can reuse the existing code without too much refactoring.
>>
>> I just don't see the need for the splitters, why would someone want to
>> have
>> them?
>>

> To be honest there are no real motivations, I just thought that a splitter
> could be a further feature.
> But indeed it's useless, at least if not used for a particular use case
> (see Thomas suggestions).
>
> I've just pushed a <test> branch without splitters, for a quick feedback
> look here: http://abload.de/img/kronometer-no-splittevdklc.png
>
> If you want instead a "single display" without the dividers between
> hours/minutes/etc, then I can push another experimental branch <test2>.
> Something like this older version:
> http://abload.de/img/kronometer-running-la6ddg3.png
> But since now kronometer has those "header" labels above the numbers, I
> would need a tabular layout and from my earlier tests I remember that it
> looks ugly.

Sorry, forget my last statement. I've just tried using a QGridLayout and
there is nothing wrong with it:
http://abload.de/img/kronometer-no-divideri4kce.png
This alternative is in the branch <test2>. I just need to fix the
QTimeDisplay::setTimeFormat() function.

So, the choice is between the branch <test> and <test2>. Let me know what
do you prefer.

For completeness the alternatives in details are:

- branch <test>: no splitters, with dividers (i.e. 4 QFrames in a
horizontal layout): http://abload.de/img/kronometer-no-splittevdklc.png
- branch <test2>: no splitters, no dividers (i.e. single QFrame with a grid
layout): http://abload.de/img/kronometer-no-divideri4kce.png