Kronometer now in KDE Review

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kdemail.net
Mon Apr 14 10:35:02 BST 2014

> El Dilluns, 7 d'abril de 2014, a les 23:52:19, Elvis Angelaccio va
> escriure:
> > Hi all,
>
> Hi!

Hi Albert,

> > with this email I'm going to ask a review for Kronometer, in order to be
> > accepted in KDE.
> > Kronometer is a stopwatch application for KDE. It's meant to be simple
> but
> > also customizable.
> >
> > Kronometer has been moved to kdereview from its previous location,
> > playground/utils. I'm not sure whether to ask the admission in
> > extragear-utils or in kdeutils.
>
> Personally I don't see it being a broad enough use case to make sense to
> be in
> kdeutils. What do others think? Have you asked at kde-utils-devel
> https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-utils-devel ?

No, I have not yet asked. I will do it.

> > What I'm looking for is the help of the KDE community with translations,
> > packaging and bug-tracking. If the choice is definitely up to me, it
> would
> > be nice to join the kdeutils module.
> >
> > Regarding the requirements for the admission:
> >
> > 1. There is the documentation in DocBook format. Thanks to Yuri
> Chornoivan
> > for his help.
> > 2. Source code is documented using the doxygen syntax, as suggested in
> the
> > techbase documentation policy.
> > 3. All the krazy code checker issues have been addressed.
> > 4. No usability review has been done, but it's welcome.
> > 5. Profiler: unfortunately I don't know how to do it. I used Valgrind and
> > there shouldn't be memory leaks.
> > I tried to use also Callgrind but I'm not able to understand its output.
> If
> > a profiler check is strictly required, I'll need help for it.
>
> Nah, it's not like your app is doing anything very resource intensive so
> you
> don't need performance testing (just make sure you don't hog the cpu at
> 100%
> :D)
>
> Some small comment from my side:
>  * You are passing an email address as bug address, you should leave the
> default bugzilla one there and create a kronometer bug entry in
> bugs.kde.org
> if you don't have power for that ask to the sysadmin guys about it.

Yes, I put only a temporary email address, waiting for an official bugs
entry.

>  * Your choice of splitters to separate hours/minutes/seconds seems a bit
> weird do you think that anyone will use it to have something like very wide
> minutes and narrow the rest?

I see your point, probably the splitters are unnecessary UI components for
this use case.
What do you think about an option in "Interface settings"? I could display
by default a single QFrame (without splitters) and leave to the user an
opt-in to allow the splitters.
In this way I can reuse the existing code without too much refactoring.

>  * The general/font/save settings probably would look nicer with a vertical
> spacer at the end that eats up empty space when the vertical space is
> bigger
> than needed (i.e. similar to what you have in interface settings).

Good catch, there the spacers have been forgotten.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Regards,
Elvis