Configuration files transfer

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 12 17:33:02 BST 2014

On Saturday 12 April 2014 12:08:12 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Saturday, 2014-04-12, 06:57:41, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > > +            for (const auto testSubdir: { ".kde", ".kde5" }) {
> > > Shouldn't that be .kde4?
> >
> > Yes, already fixed in the next commit. :)
> >
> > > That block of code ($KDEHOME, otherwise ~/.kde, otherwise ~/.kde4)
> > > sounds
> > > like code that could be shared. Should we have a kde4ConfigHome() and
> > > kde4DataHome() in, hmm, kcoreaddons?
> >
> > That is why I asked the question in the first place. I'd say it would be
> > better to have this in a common place instead of every application
> > implementing it for itself.
>
> Don't we have KStandardDirs in some porting framework?

Yes, but
1) it's in kdelibs4support, deprecated, i.e. apps are supposed to port AWAY
from it.
2) its logic has been ported away from KDEHOME and to
XDG_DATA_HOME/XDG_CONFIG_HOME etc. instead. So that a KF5-based app still
using KStandardDirs, would at least write into the right place.
So this isn't useful for migrating the KDE4 data.

Plus it's kind of overkill since it handles many levels for many resources
while all we need is the local config and data dirs.

My suggestion is this instead: https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/117511/