Configuration files transfer

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Mon Apr 7 12:10:17 BST 2014

On Friday, 2014-04-04, 18:21:31, David Faure wrote:
> On Friday 04 April 2014 09:42:34 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Since we have changed the location of our config files not to use .kde
> > anymore, we will need some way of moving the old configuration files to
> > their new locations.
> >
> > Should we use kconf_update for this, or is something else in the works?
>
> Kevin Krammer had thoughts on the topic - iirc along the lines of "every
> application should take care of migrating the relevant data" ? (cc'ed)

I documented my look into this here (though more generalized, not just
config):

http://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Epics/StandardPathsMigration

Application specific configs could be copied with an automated mechanism that
has access to the porting aids framework and thus access to KStandardDirs.

Shared configs are obivously tricky, might need some symlink approach.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring