DBus-activated applications

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Apr 5 22:13:53 BST 2014

On Saturday 05 April 2014 09:25:16 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em sex 04 abr 2014, às 20:32:55, David Faure escreveu:
> > The new idea, as a result of last year's freedesktop summit, is to improve
> > upon this and generalize it : even the first instance can be started with
> > a DBus call, using DBus activation (these .service files installed in
> > share/dbus-1/services).
>
> Did you have a chance to discuss with Lennart and Kay about systemd+kdbus
> not using /usr/share/dbus-1/services, but systemd unit files instead?

Not in details. I heard this was planned at some point, but it didn't seem to
be for right now. In any case we'll still need to install .service files for
non-systemd/kdbus systems...

On the other hand we had an interesting discussion on setting environment
variables (XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP, XDG_DATA_DIRS etc.) in a way that affects
dbus-activated applications. Right now it's as simple as setting them before
starting the dbus daemon, but the idea of replacing the session bus with a
user bus would break that (e.g. when logging into a TTY before logging into an
X session, the env vars wouldn't be set). Lennart was mentionning an API for
setting env vars into the running user bus, but both Ryan and me were rather
in favour of getting a session bus back :). To be continued...