QML-using app developers: use private.* imports

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 10:16:20 BST 2013

On Thursday 26 September 2013 02:23:31 Aleix Pol wrote:

> The question would be then, why is it that there's some API that's only
> needed for internal usage? If it's needed internally, it will be most
> likely needed externally, at some point. The fact that you decide to label
> it as private makes frustrated developers.
>
> Either way, I have no idea of what we're talking about here. :D

is the fact that the most feasible way to bridge the c++ of an app and the qml
part is trough imports.
you once told me you did some imports for use in muon for instance,
and while there may be some parts of those that does have an use outside that
application for everybody to use, all of it surely isn't, being its use just
bridge functionality of that particular application, and that's fine.

However, i would like everything in org.kde.* to be considered a library, with
all the requirements of api stability for the entire lifecycle, and requiring
this kind of discipline from all random developers is simply not realistic.

then, of course if an app developer decides that a part of his private.foo may
make sense for everybody to use can always move it, but by accepting all the
social contract that maintaining a library means

--
Marco Martin