QML-using app developers: use private.* imports

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Thu Sep 26 08:37:38 BST 2013

On 2013-09-25, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 25, 2013 17:51:41 Mark wrote:
>> Doesn't your naming proposal completely ruin the org.kde.* stuff? Up until
>> now i could fairly safely assume that all QML KDE imports where hidden
>> under org.kde.* but that isn't the case anymore if you introduce
>> private.org.kde.*
>
> That's exactly the point: we don't want you to find it, much less to rely on
> it. It's basically application internal "stuff" you have no business with.
>
>> It looks like you miss a part in the url.. I would say something like this:
>> org.kde.public.* = public imports
>> org.kde.private.* = private imports
>>
>> But that would require changing all existing components to reflect this
>> idea..
>
> That, and it would encourage to maybe use it as second class API, and still
> cause us the same problems.

QML is not my specialty, but clearly stuffing private/internal stuff
away is a great thing. Given QML is a interpreted thing, you need to
have all the bits installed, so clearly marking something for 'stay
away' is needed. We can't do like in c++ where we choose to just not
install some headers.

It would btw be great if upstream could agree on private.* for 'please
stay out of this'.

/Sune