Review Request 113175: Always use an external viewer application to view files

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Sat Oct 19 16:57:17 BST 2013

On Tuesday 08 October 2013 20:35:01 Sven Brauch wrote:

> > On Oct. 8, 2013, 4:47 p.m., Jonathan Marten wrote:
> > > I'm not totally happy with this change.  Yes, the internal viewer is limited in functionality, but it has advantages:  (1) it is fast to open and can be closed again with a single keystroke;  (2) it remembers its size and can be resized without affecting the default window size of, say, KWrite or whichever external application is used;  (3) it can be forced to display an archive component of any type as plain text.

<snip>

What is the advantage of having ark at all ?
konqueror/dolphin can already open at least tar/(gz, bzip) and zip files directly and there you have all the functionality
you are discussing currently (e.g. viewing the file according to defined association, right click menu, everything
one would expect ...
I don't know the drawbacks, so please enlighten me.
Thanks.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin