Fwd: looking for phonon gstreamer maintainer

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 10:11:22 BST 2013

On Tuesday 08 October 2013 10:52:26 Harald Sitter wrote:
> > libVLC and libVLCcore are not more patent-encumbered than
> > gstreamer-core.
> >
> FWIW rdieter and j-b were able to clear up the confusion on IRC and
> apparently there now are plans to get vlc-without-patent-plugins into
> Fedora \o/

Since already quite some time openSUSE has a VLC package in Factory and this
package will be appearing in the upcoming 13.1 version.  We solved it quite
easily, but utilizing the videolan OBS system (maintained by
Dominique/DimStar) to build the patented-plugins there. We have the full VLC
tarball, but as that certain packages (e.g. ffmpeg, etc) are not available,
VLC is only build with a small number of codecs, but as you indicated enough
to build a working VLC backend for phonon. On the videolan buildservice, we
are building the same package, but now with the full functionality. However we
have set the package up that the patented codecs are put in a separate
package, that can then easily be added by the user to get the full
functionality.

Regards

Raymond