Fwd: looking for phonon gstreamer maintainer

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 16:50:29 BST 2013

On Wednesday 25 of September 2013 12:35:25 Harald Sitter wrote:
> [...]

Hi,

in Fedora we have a big interest in keeping phonon-gstreamer alive, namely
because we can't ship phonon-vlc due to legal issues (you know, US company,
software patents and what not...) and our users would not probably be very
happy if we had no phonon working backend in Fedora KDE.

So far we are happy with gstreamer-0.10, but we realize that sooner or later
we will have to start looking into supporting gstreamer-1.0. Even if we are
able to keep phonon with gstreamer-0.10 alive by patching the hell out of it
in downstream, at some point we will be forced to drop it, and then we would
have nothing to switch to.

So I'm willing to help keeping phonon-gstreamer alive in upstream (I'm not
saying I'll be able to fix all the bugs) and slowly look into the gst-1.0 port.
I'm not able to fully maintain yet another project (I already have more than
enough :-)), but as said above, I can contribute to keep it alive and push it
over the hill to gstreamer-1.0 (come on, how hard can it be? ;-))

Luckily for me, we have a GStreamer guy in the office, so I can get some help
from him if necessary :)

Cheers,
Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
KDE Desktop Team

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348