Acquiring Google Mock libraries for tests

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Oct 4 02:48:31 BST 2013

On quarta-feira, 2 de outubro de 2013 01:59:52, Konrad Zemek wrote:
> Google Mock is a popular library for creating mock objects (for testing
> purposes) in C++. The reason for me being so specific is that when it
> comes to libraries, Google Mock is a very specific case - it needs to be
> compiled along with tests, with same flags, so it should not be
> precompiled. For this reason Kubuntu now ships sources instead of
> precompiled libraries, and some other distros don't provide any package
> whatsoever.
>
> The discussion we have in amarok-devel is about how to acquire Google
> Mock's sources in order to compile them (bundle them in our repository,
> require distros to package them, etc). I asked here because I wanted to
> know how other KDE projects deal with the issue, the assumption being
> that there are other KDE projects using Google Mock.

I think you answered your question: if it needs to be compiled alongside the
source and tests it's supposed to run with, then it needs to be built by the
same compilation unit (our CMake scripts).

That leaves only three options:
 a) bundle it
 b) require the sources from the builder
 c) download it on the fly.

Option (c) is a no-go since many build machines run in sandboxes or otherwise
firewalled environments.

So the question is: is it acceptable to require Linux distributions to package
the sources? If they do that, we'll still need a CMake FindPackage script to
find it and set up the options.

I guess your question should go to the packagers mailing list.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358