KMountPoint::probablySlow and cifs mount points

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:58:16 GMT 2013

On Dienstag, 26. November 2013 00:35:18 CEST, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> Serious question: do systems, which run KDE4 and are connected to a 10 Mbps
> wired network exist ?

I guess no (i still have such card, but it's ISA - so it lives in a shoebox ;-)
But the remote system could be.
In theory, one could have a quota on the NIC (Multihead system).

> Are those machines all in the same subnet?
No idea, not my network.
The problem is however the GIANT overhead of SMB/CIFS, which makes it slow everywhere (while SMB was always known to esp. suffer from high latency, _any_ latency is annoying)
I'd never consider mounting it (just kio into it when i have to, fetch what i need and then get outta there as fast as possible =)

> But, can we still improve the logic a bit ?
From what i got from Davids mail, it's rather like the function is gonna be dropped (in favor of async/delayed readin) as it has proven to not suit the task.

Cheers,
Thomas