KMountPoint::probablySlow and cifs mount points

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 23:24:56 GMT 2013

On Montag, 25. November 2013 23:31:59 CEST, Alexander Neundorf wrote:

> hmm, doesn't have to be really complicated, just a little bit more
> sophisticated than it is now, e.g. like the following, which is
> not too hard
> to do:
> probablySlow = (NFS || CIFS) && (host is not in my own subnet || NIC is
> wireless)

- wired NIC connected to WLAN router/repeater
- wired 10Mbps NIC
- remote system on WLAN
- remote system reads from USBv1.1 or CDROM
- traffic shaping
- SMB/CIFS is slow even on fast connections (see the bug Albert linked)

OTOH, NFS to another subnet (the next in-house router, GBit) can be pretty fast.
For servers, read & write can largely differ and whatnot.

What one actually can have is "isNotSlow()", ie. is a local tempfs or HDD/SSD

Cheers,
Thomas