Adopting AppData in KDE?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Nov 6 08:55:34 GMT 2013

wrote:

> > If we have to do it by paragraph, having scripty merge the
> > translations back into the original XML is going to be ugly...
>
> The reasons I chose to do it this way were mainly because most
> translators hate translating XML tags. And if one translator does
> something slightly wrong, the whole document becomes invalid. For
> instance, asking the translators to translate this source string:

> If they translate this as:

> database</li></ul>
>
> This fails hard when the document is installed (as in, fails to parse,
> and so doesn't get used). Most translators won't validate the
> resulting XML document before translating. In GNOME we'd ask them to
> translate "This is the list of features:" and "Massive color database"
> which is much more sane and basically impossible to get wrong.

This sounds more like a problem in translator tooling, commit hooks and CI
integration.

Anyway, couldn't you still generate the XML with language selectors on the
main elements themselves?
Since you already put markup-less strings into the file, why not just add the
language attribute to, e.g. desscription, and then fill the tags with content?

Do you expect to support partial translations? I.e. one paragraph translated,
followed by an untranslated one?

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring