Adopting AppData in KDE?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 19:59:07 GMT 2013

On 5 November 2013 18:42, Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, but if this is going to be a separate file with outs own spec then it
> is probably outside the scope of this project.  But the two efforts could be
> coordinated.

Well, I'm not saying it's out of scope for AppData, I'm simply saying
it needs discussing.

> But there is still the question of whether the extension should be
> hard-coded our based on the type.

There's no question. The full ID is the basename of the primary thing
used to generate the data. Fonts have full IDs ending in .ttf for
instance.

> How is it any different in principle from putting it in an xml file?

You really can. It's very easy to do in GNOME, and we've been doing it
for years.

> it would probably even
> be simpler since you would only need one additional file rather than one per
> language.

Err, this is the compiled (i.e. what's installed, rather than what's
in the repo) file for gnome-software:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/org.gnome.Software.appdata.xml

> I think the main issues this would resolve are redundancy, and that this
> information might be useful outside of app stores.

AppData was designed for app stores.

Richard.