Adopting AppData in KDE?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 17:21:56 GMT 2013

On 5 November 2013 17:12, Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:
> For <project_group/>, I think it would be good to allow arbitrary groups
> rather than limiting it to only a few recognized groups.

I think restricting it to the desktops specified in the menu-spec makes sense.

> I think it would be good too either have a change log tag or a
> machine-parseable change log spec that would allow app stores to display the
> change log

Define ChangeLog? You mean what changed between versions?

> Regarding mimetypes, I recall there had been some concern over apps that get
> their mimetypes dynamically either at build-time or runtime from other apps
> or libraries.  Might this be a good opportunity to find a solution to this?

In this case you can specify the mimetypes in the desktop file.

> It might be good to have an email address for the person or mailing list
> responsible for the file.

That's what <update_contact> is used for.

Already filed: https://github.com/hughsie/appdata-tools/issues/9

> Does the <id/> tag really need to have the .desktop extension?  Can't this
> be specified by the type?  So if it is "desktop" type, it can automatically
> add the .desktop extension.

No, as we'll be supporting other kinds of desktop applications in he
future, e.g. glick2 bundles and that kind of thing.

> For a more extreme question, is there a reason all this information cannot
> just be put into the .desktop file

You can't put multiline descriptions in a desktop file, or have
multiple screenshots with localized captions, unless you *really*
start to abuse the specification.

Richard.