Adopting AppData in KDE?

Sven Brauch svenbrauch at googlemail.com
Sat Nov 2 19:57:57 GMT 2013

On Saturday 02 November 2013 19:48:01 Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 2 November 2013 19:33, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> > What's the point in having an installer that hides more than half of the
> > apps in the world that don't ship a file that is not a standard and
> > doesn't seem to me it was developed as a standard? How is this useful to
> > the end user?
> We want to showcase high quality applications with active upstream
> maintainers. There's no point us showing 5000 application where half
> don't work or are abandonware. Also, I'm hoping AppData does become a
> standard. It's already used by over 200 projects.

This is what baffled me a bit too. Selecting applications which adhere to this
standard doesn't seem like a very good way to select high-quality applications
to me. Assuming KDE would say "no, we don't like this standard, we want to do
it differently" you would lock all KDE apps out of your software installer?

That being said, I do like the idea and I also like the specification. I'd
like it to be adopted.

Just my two cents ;)
Greetings,
Sven