Adopting AppData in KDE?

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 14:33:49 GMT 2013

On 2 November 2013 11:53, Boudewijn Rempt <boud at valdyas.org> wrote:
> * screenshot: which theme/color scheme should be used (btw, for Krita, on Gnome3, Plastique is hard-coded, because other themes are broken.)

For a KDE app, I suppose Plastique --
http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/#screenshots
basically says things like "Use default fonts and wallpapers" and that
kind of thing. I don't think it makes sense to use the GNOME 3 theme
for a KDE app in this context. Note, 16:9 aspect ratio is quite
important as it makes the software centers much more consistent and
beautiful when we can lay things out correctly.

> * license: is that the license of the appdata file or of the application?

http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/appdata/#licence says just
the metadata. This is to allow distros like SUSE and Fedora to say the
metadata is "CC0 or CC-BY or CC-BY-SA" rather than a licence string
tens of thousands of characters long.

> * How much of marketing and how much of dry description in the description field?

That's completely up to your marketing department :) Really, the long
description there is an advert for people who are looking for an
application to install, who might not know anything about your
project. I think it makes sense to be fairly impartial and list the
featureset in some nice prose, but that's really up to you.

Richard