Adopting AppData in KDE?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Nov 2 13:23:18 GMT 2013

On Saturday, November 2, 2013 09:27:18 John Layt wrote:
> One obvious question is how this might relate to Bodega if KDE chooses
> to switch to that?

The same files could be used to generate asset descriptions for use with
Bodega.

>What does Gnome shipping their own official "App
> Store" mean for cross-distro/cross-desktop app store efforts and do we
> need to start working on our own now, or will Bodega fill that need
> for us?

This is an area of understandable confusion, but Bodega and AppStream do
rather very different things.

AppStream is a way to present a more modern interface to packages in the OS
vendor’s repositories. (Theoretically, 3rd party repos too.) It is rather
unhelpful for non-package-manager-packages, for non-application content types
or for use as an in-app system.

Last I looked, AppStream has as a goal utilizing OCS for user interface. OCS
theoretically supports payment for items, but this process is not only
woefully underspecificed in OCS (as in: not documented at all) it does not
provide for an open market but a centralized warehouse+storefront
conglomeration just like all the proprietary app stores out there. Given that
the only complete implementation of OCS available is proprietary, I don’t
think this is a surprise.

OCS is, generally, horribly designed. I am even hesitant to use the word
‘design’ in combination with OCS. It is really that bad, and why we did not
use it for Bodega.

AppStream is very focused on the needs of desktop Linux. There is *nothing*
wrong about that in the least, but it leaves mobile, embedded and server use
cases (not to mention more general web based ones) unserviced.

Bodega addresses all of the above.

There are a variety of potential collaboration points for Bodega and
AppStream, including (and probably not limited to):

* Bodega being able to process AppStream data files as a way to import
applications as assets in the warehouse. This would be similar to how we
handle Project Gutenberg’s book catalog, for instance.

* AppStream could use Bodega as a way to provide the user participation side
of things: ratings, comments, user submissions, etc.

If Bodega and AppStream do continue on without collaborating, which is a valid
option, there really will be very little in the way of overlap between the two
and I hope over time we can make it clear that they are really not comparable
systems.

--
Aaron J. Seigo