Crashes with libQtUiTools.a if linked multiple times into the same process (with Bsymbolic-functions flag)

Sune Vuorela nospam at vuorela.dk
Sat May 11 21:23:15 BST 2013

On 2013-05-11, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau <kossebau at kde.org> wrote:
> So, anyone with more clue than me WRT symbols from static libs and the
> Bsymbolic-functions linker flag who could tell if that indeed should fix such
> problems if code from the same static lib is arriving multiple times in the
> same process via different libs/modules?

It most likely will help on such a case.

-Bsymbolic-functions ensures that functiotns are first resolved in the
library/plugin itself before resolving it from outside the library.

What happens, I think, is that it is sometimes using the functions from
one of the static libs, other times from some of the other.

I'm not sure we want libraries linking QtTools to be built with
-Bsymbolic-functions because it breaks debugging and other magic using
function overriding with LD_PRELOAD tricks, because they rely on being
chosen first over the 'internal' functions.

/Sune