KDEReview: Nepomuk-Controller QML

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Wed Mar 27 02:00:26 GMT 2013

On Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:42:46 Jörg Ehrichs wrote:
> One detail though is missing, the old systray was able give a number of
> indexer file resources. This number is missing from my QML approach.
>
> Not sure how important this number is, as it isn't really a good measure or
> even a measure at all how big the Nepomuk database is at all.

Well we rearrange U/I even across point releases (if it fixes bugs) so merely
removing a useless stat is not a big concern, as long as the overall
functionality is still comparable to what was present before. Removing the
number might even be judged as a U/I improvement (why show something neither
the user nor developer will need except possibly for bug triage?).

> > Likewise it would be a good idea to ensure our Release Notes for 4.11 (if
> > any are started) reflect the migration so that our packagers can ensure
> > they change package dependencies if deemed appropriate.
>
> I would write a blogpost about this, as soon as this goes into SC. IS there
> any other action I need to do to ensure packagers are aware of the change?

The release notes is the big thing, I would expect packagers are tracking that
Wiki page or web page as they are put together during the release series so
that they can make preparations ahead-of-time.

The only other thing you'd want to do is to send an email to the kde-packager
mailing list informing them of the change and any action that might be needed
or desirable on their part to ensure a smooth transition for their users. The
mailing list is moderated so expect that; your message will make it through
regardless for this topic.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne