KDEReview: Nepomuk-Controller QML

Michael Pyne mpyne at kde.org
Mon Mar 25 23:58:51 GMT 2013

On Monday, March 25, 2013 16:46:10 Vishesh Handa wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Jörg Ehrichs <Joerg.Ehrichs at gmx.de> wrote:
> > The dataengine as well as the applet is only installed if
> > Nepomuk-Core/Soprano is found
> > as build dependency.
> >
> > This would deprecate:
> > kde-runtime/nepomuk/controller/
>
> Deprecate or remove? Cause I would like to remove it.

What will the provision be to automatically replace the old systray program
with the applet (or at least let the user know where to add the new applet
from)?

The minor version upgrade process all throughout the KDE/Plasma 4 releases
started off as a fairly steady source of minor nits and irritants for users.

The Nepomuk controls themselves are already fairly well-known so it's even
more important IMO that if they are deprecated that they don't simply
disappear completely the first time a new KDE 4.11 user logs in.

Likewise it would be a good idea to ensure our Release Notes for 4.11 (if any
are started) reflect the migration so that our packagers can ensure they
change package dependencies if deemed appropriate.

Not trying to discourage, but just some things to think about.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne