All KConfig files inherit kdeglobals keys by default, good or bad?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Jun 25 10:08:42 BST 2013

On Tuesday 25 June 2013 10:10:03 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > Eventually the default actually should have been CascadeOnly (because
> > IncludeGlobals seems mostly interesting to libs only).
>
> I agree, especially because I assume all the code which benefits from
> inheriting from kdeglobals has been written with reading config from
> kdeglobals in mind. As such, I think this code should opt-in to inherit from
> kdeglobals, instead of expecting all code reading configuration to opt-out
> from it.
>
> This cannot be changed in kdelibs4, but would it make sense to change it in
> KF5?
/me agrees
I think this behavior was the reason why I first got it wrong that KWin uses
the values and called this "magic behavior". I was only reading the code and
didn't expect that it would include the kdeglobals. Yes it's documented and
yes I probably read the documentation in the past, so I should have known, but
from reading the code one doesn't see it, so it's surprising.

Cheers
Martin