Review Request 111050: Fast mime detection speedup.

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 23:02:36 BST 2013



> On June 23, 2013, 7:29 p.m., Thomas L├╝bking wrote:
> > > "KMimeTypePrivate::iconName" is now the one slowing everything down mostly because of the QHash.
> > Sure? Try replacing QHash with QMap (QHash is very fast at lookup with fix base and no variable costs - but it's slower on insertion)
> > 
> > I'd however blame KMimeTypePrivate::ensureXmlDataLoaded() here (callgrind will know for sure, btw ;-)
> 
> Mark Gaiser wrote:
>     Which i just tested to be sure :)
>     
>     Just for fun:
>     - completely commenting out ensureXmlDataLoaded() made no difference thus leading me to thing that the hash is slowing something down
>     - replacing QHash by QMap also didn't change much. If any, it made it slightly slower
>     - completely disabling the cache (so only iconNameFromCache and all that uses it) did matter and made everything 1/3rd faster
>     
>     So i think the caching is not helping much in performance in this case.
> 
> Milian Wolff wrote:
>     Which will greatly depend on how you designed your benchmark. What is callgrind exactly showing as culprit? Could you upload the file somewhere?
>     
>     You should also accompany this patch with a proper QBENCHMARK btw. This then ensures we can verify the speed improvements (i.e. do proper before/after assessments.) Furthermore it will enable others to look at the speed and make improvements without first writing a benchmark.

Well, i can provide the callgrind if you want to see that. I'm not going to make a QBENCHMARK because this code is dead! It will only live for as long as KDE 4.11 lives and whatever comes after that in the 4.xx series. The "next" KDE will use QMimeType. My "benchmark" right now consists of simply getting the mime types of all files in /usr/bin. Only by name. You can find the benchmark here: http://paste.kde.org/781292/

Note: this is very much real world like! Just browse to /usr/bin in dolphin or a file chooser dialog and you have the same case.


- Mark


-----------------------------------------------------------
This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/111050/#review34926
-----------------------------------------------------------


On June 23, 2013, 9:21 p.m., Mark Gaiser wrote:
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
> http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/111050/
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> 
> (Updated June 23, 2013, 9:21 p.m.)
> 
> 
> Review request for kdelibs, David Faure and Frank Reininghaus.
> 
> 
> Description
> -------
> 
> Hi,
> 
> I've recently seen Frank Reininghaus do his best in speeding up the rendering in dolphin with regards to the app icons. And trying to prevent icon flickering between "unknown" and the actual icon.
> 
> While reading his posts on the mailing list i was beginning to wonder: "is fast mime detection actually fast"? While it was certainly faster then "slow" mime detection, it still didn't really seem fast to me. A small benchmark app hat ran fast mime detection in /usr/bin took ~40ms to complete. That's for just 2656 items.
> 
> After quite a bit of profiling i managed to to bring the duration down from ~40ms to ~3ms sometimes ~4ms. That's well over 10x faster.
> Mime detection by extension (like "file.tar.bz") is done as follows:
> 
> file.tar.bz
> Loop - find first dot
> - "tar.gz"
> if that matches a mime type then it's returned if it doesn't then it proceeds on to the next dot:
> - next dot: "gz"
> if that matches.. return.
> Otherwise it will return the default mime type.
> 
> I am getting an inconsistency. Using the unpatched fast mime detection on a file like: "test.tar.gz" gets detected as "application-x-compressed-tar" where the patched version detects it as "application-gzip". The slow and detailed mime detection detects the same file as "application-x-compressed-tar". What should it be? application-gzip or application-x-compressed-tar?
> 
> Note: This improved detection does expect folders to end with a "/". Otherwise they will be detected as application-octet-stream (the default). But i think this is common sense to let folders end with a "/". If any apps that don't do that, they should fix it i suppose.
> 
> Best thing, it's all internal and private api change. No public function is changed.
> 
> All feedback is welcome! If possible, i would like to put this in KDE 4.11.
> 
> 
> Diffs
> -----
> 
>   kdecore/services/kmimetype.h bc35bcf 
>   kdecore/services/kmimetype.cpp d748523 
>   kdecore/services/kmimetyperepository.cpp f56f48e 
> 
> Diff: http://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/111050/diff/
> 
> 
> Testing
> -------
> 
> Tested this using just output comparison between the old version and the new implementation. It works just fine.
> kurlmimetest output:
> ********* Start testing of KUrlMimeTest *********
> Config: Using QTest library 4.8.4, Qt 4.8.4
> PASS   : KUrlMimeTest::initTestCase()
> PASS   : KUrlMimeTest::testURLList()
> PASS   : KUrlMimeTest::testOneURL()
> PASS   : KUrlMimeTest::testFromQUrl()
> PASS   : KUrlMimeTest::testMostLocalUrlList()
> PASS   : KUrlMimeTest::cleanupTestCase()
> Totals: 6 passed, 0 failed, 0 skipped
> ********* Finished testing of KUrlMimeTest *********
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Mark Gaiser
> 
>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kde-core-devel/attachments/20130623/8a9297b2/attachment.htm>


More information about the kde-core-devel mailing list